Monday, July 27, 2009

Wanganui

So in Wanganui (where I spent the weekend) there is a building near the design school on the corner of Rutland St and Drew Avenue which I believe owned by a Mitchell-Anyon (not sure if it is Ross of Leigh?? Pretty sure they are both pretty artsy though) who has made it common knowledge that he is happy for this building to have stencils spraypainted onto it. From what I understand - what my mother and grandmother told me as they took me to check it out - the people of Wanganui are not quite as excited about this as I am. They believe that it is encouraging tagging, but looking around Wanganui, I didn't think it was that big a problem.

So whoever owns this place is into the art scene and can appreciate it, which is amazing, and means that artists who have put time and effort into creating a stencil can put it out there for the public to see without having to worry that they will get caught, or that it will be painted over.

As the stencil below says, Graffiti is Fun, not scary, especially if people are brave enough to embrace it. The following are just a selection of some of the stencils that were on this one building, there are many more, and I will continue to check when I go back to Wanganui.








If you'd like to check these out for yourself, the location is:

View Larger Map

1 comment:

stefantehoro said...

i love these, in particular the diamonds coming out of the gun.